Media and attitudes to music
– The modern listener is different than the listener of a century ago. He doesn’t need music requiring special attention, he needs music “on occasion”. By the will of the media, the music has finally “parted”.
– Losing your charm with it.
– Why? This charm can be claimed.
– Or maybe not.
– Or maybe not. But is it bad, when is it so? Let’s say a different Beatles song can cause tears in me: the world around me will stop, it will stop, I will be alone – immersed in my memories. But is such a reaction always appropriate? Ethics teaches us – first of all – to behave correctly in relation to the world, society and its culture. I should be able to
adjust their emotional states depending on the environment in which I am. Let’s say the bus driver has a tape recorder turned on. It will be my pleasure to suddenly hear a favorite song, this song will brighten up my stay on the bus. But no more. In a different situation, this song will make me cry. Continuity demand is an essential function.
– Sounds somehow disrespectful.
– Does she, the music, need our “respect”? We bake bread in order to eat it, we write music in order to listen to it. Music is only an instrument, a kind of “shovel”, with the help of which we dig ourselves, our deep feelings, thoughts, associations …
– About bread. That is, do you equate the consumption of music (I already speak your language) with the daily consumption of bread? Is it not wise to divide music into bread music and delicacy music then?
– Such a separation would be fair for the XV century or, say, XIX. Music existed and was consumed only in specially designated places. Folk (what we now call “folk”) – in carnival squares, on the streets. Spiritual – in the temples. Operas were performed in opera houses. What did it lead to? To the fact that certain musical styles were the prerogative of a particular social group of people. The anecdote about the juggler twisting somersault before the image of the Mother of God, – sublimation, for nothing, that anecdote. It is now G.Sukachev could play a concert in this cathedral with organ and choir, could he do it 100 years ago?
– So, maybe it’s good that – no? There must be at least some purity of the genre!
– And if this is his director’s vision of musical material? If he is a composer, I am sure that this is the way he should perform what he wrote? And times, they, as they say, change … I will explain with another example. Iamb – satirical, bullying poems? Is it always that way? After all, we know that once, in ancient Greece, it was unthinkable to write iambic lyric poem. And now? Who will blame the lyrics of Pushkin, Blok, Akhmatova for an unacceptable combination of form and content? Forms change with the times.
– That is – and the attitude?
– Yes, of course. But where did this unasked citizen or peasant come from? He comes to the temple, for him music is a miracle. And his personal music – he grumbled, he hummed – he had fun, drank it. And real music is a miracle.
– Why so sarcastic?
– Because then people came and said: you can play like that, play that way too. Miracle is everywhere.
– Do you need to be a believer to listen to chorals? Do not need to be a believer to see the icons?
– Not necessary. You can enter the temple and see in the icon – just a picture, but you can get grace from the icon hanging in the museum. You just need to be able to see and listen. There must be at least some choice. That is, not from the music that is offered exclusively for a given social environment, but from music – from all social environments, all ages, so to speak, and peoples. Music, any of the music, should not, can not be a delicacy. A delicacy is good only for those who eat it. The rest is annoying. It turns out a misunderstanding. And then – aggression, anger … Conflicts, wars …
– But we can not talk now about any kind of musical environment. Again – because of the general availability of music.
– Yes, so maybe for the better? I repeat: who could afford to play the organ about 300 years ago? I was given a body when I was 18 years old. And now I can compose, record and perform symphonic without entering from home, on a computer. That is, the recording of music on any sounding carrier has finally put music and a listener on one level. Any listener, with any relation to any music.
– It’s good?
– This is normal. In general, this is called “scraping”. I can turn off the tape recorder. But I can go to the opera – you will not turn off anything there. I will follow the rules of the game, but if I want to turn it off, if there is a suspicion that I want to, I will listen to a tape recorder better. And the recorded music, sometimes, is more than just music, not a mentor, but a friend.
“But also illusion and shadow.”
– I agree. But how bad is Haydn’s illusion or Presley’s shadow? Not you, nor I – we will never hear very many people and much already. And the recording of music: radio, CDs – give us a lot more than the music being played, because it frees up our not only memory, but also fantasy.